This course explains how encrypting and signing a message works, how message authentication codes work, and why a digital signature is superior to a cryptographic hash for validating software integrity. This course coverage aligns with the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) requirements K0018: Knowledge of encryption algorithms, and K0019: Knowledge of cryptography and cryptographic key management concepts.
On successful completion of this course, learners should have the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain what a message integrity function is
- Explain the difference between a message authentication code and a digital signature
- Explain how a digital signature works
- Explain how encrypting and signing a message works
- Explain how message authentication codes work
- Explain why a digital signature is superior to a cryptographic hash for validating software integrity