The course provides an overview principles of secure embedded systems, analysis of threats, and development of security policies from the system and threat analysis. Design methods are presented to protect a system against threats and implement the security policies through architectural constructs, selection of hardware and software components, software processes, standards, encryption, and defensive coding. Each layer of a representative secure embedded software architecture is associated with specific functionality intended to protect information and protect against security breaches, including important characteristics of selecting commercial operating system products to meet secure requirements. This course provides a comprehensive overview of methods to develop a secure embedded system.
- Understand the basic constructs and techniques to create a secure structured embedded system with military systems as the focus.
- Understand how to architect a system for high assurance requirements.
- Understand security policies implemented by different layers and components of an architecture.
- Understand principles and requirements for a secure embedded system.
- Understand the importance of a disciplined software development process on security.
- Understand the concepts of defensive coding.