Study of the technology of local area networks. Includes LAN design, topology, hardware, standards, protocols, and network operating systems. Includes significant hands-on experience building a LAN; and installing network interface cards and cable. Prerequisites: CIS 202 with a grade of C or better.
- Define and explain networking concepts.
- Illustrate how the OSI model works in a LAN.
- Identify network media.
- Describe network topologies.
- Explain network protocols.
- Differentiate between different network technologies.
- Install and configure different network operating systems.
- Design and implement a local area network (LAN).
- Maintain a LAN.
- Troubleshoot problems in a LAN.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the concepts of wide-area network (WAN) and remote connectivity technologies.