Focuses on the OSI model of data communications and uses the model as the basis for discussions of protocols, topologies, transmission media, and communications security. The TCP/IP protocol suite is examined in detail. Prerequisite: CIS 303
- Explain why industry uses the OSI layered approach to networking.
- Distinguish between which network devices segment a network and which do not.
- Troubleshoot TCP/IP protocol and IP addressing problems on a network.
- Illustrate physical and logical LAN topologies and designs.
- Identify various physical standards and data link protocols operating on WAN links today.
- Configure Cisco routers and switches in various configuration modes.
- Manipulate the boot process in a Cisco router.
- Differentiate between routable, non-routable and routing protocols.
- Describe advanced routing protocols such as classful and classless routing.