Students will learn different methods of malware analysis and their respective strengths and weaknesses. Students will gain an insight into malware behavior, including infection vectors, propagation and persistence mechanisms and artifacts. Students will be taught methods of both behavioral analysis using controlled environments and reverse engineering. A range of malware types including web based, Trojan, rootkits and bots will be examined.
- Evaluate the malware threat facing organizations and individuals
- Identify different types of malware and describe their capabilities including propagation and persistence mechanisms, payloads and defense strategies
- Categorize the different infection vectors used by malware to propagate
- Examine an operating system to determine if it has been compromised and evaluate the method of compromise
- Use static and dynamic techniques to analyze malware and determine its purpose and method of operation
- Write reports evaluating malware behavior, methods of compromise, purpose and method of operation.