This course will prepare students for working in the highly virtualized IT environments of contemporary businesses. The skills required to administer a typical Virtual Infrastructure will be covered in this class. The skills learned in this class will prepare you for understanding the design, implementation and tools used in a virtual environment. The course will focus on planning, implementing, configuring, deploying and securing server and network virtualization server and desktop technologies for software-as-a-service (SaaS), cloud computing technologies, administering virtualized server infrastructure, resource and balancing management, virtual switching, routing and forwarding, logical storage partitions, virtual processors, network interfaces, virtual and remote management of virtualized operating systems in a vendor-neutral environment. Each student will complete a hands-on project to build a complete multi-server VMware environment using the tools explored in this class. Students will be taught the business drivers, pros and cons and use cases of virtualization technology.
1. Learn virtualization concepts, benefits, platforms, specific applications and implementation process for OS and application virtualization.
2. Understand the difference in cloud virtualization platforms: On-premise, hosted and cloud, public, hybrid and private and software-as-a-service (SaaS), platform-as-a-service (PaaS) and infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS).
3. Learn the virtualization hardware design requirements including: servers, storage area networks, network-attached storage, physical and virtual networking, logical storage partitions, virtual processors, and network interfaces.
4. Design and build on-premise and cloud virtualized enterprise level infrastructure to support the daily operations.
5. Understand policy and procedure design specifications including: Access controls, resource management and balancing, and virtual and remote management.
6. Understand security strategies for virtualized on-premise and cloud enterprise level infrastructure.
7. Design and administer the virtualized enterprise level infrastructure and datacenter.