U.S. privacy is a complicated amalgam of federal, state and local privacy regulations. This course, based on the body of knowledge for the IAPP’s ANSI/ISO-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) certification program, gives privacy professionals the knowledge to manage compliance within this legal web and minimize the risks of regulatory fines and brand damage. The course provides an in-depth view of U.S. federal and state privacy statutes; detailed analysis of sectoral laws, civil and criminal enforcement; and an overview of how the requirements of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation affect U.S. privacy practice.
- Describe key concepts related to the U.S. privacy environment
- Explore the limits on private-sector data collection and use
- Summarize the laws and practices guiding government and court access to private-sector information
- Describe the environment governing workplace privacy
- Identify major state privacy laws and common concepts in the marketing, financial, data security, and data breach notification domains