The specific focus of this course is on network design, administration, and management. Design considerations include available telecommunication services in a Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) with special emphasis on public systems such as the Internet. Administration considerations include device configuration and network performance. Managerial issues of selecting, acquiring, utilizing, and supporting these technologies will be explored.
- Develop a fundamental understanding of the basic technical aspects of network and telecommunications-based systems.
- Build a foundation of knowledge about telecommunication architectures, topologies, and protocols.
- Discuss technologies including bridges and routers, along with applications such as electronic mail and electronic data exchange (EDI).
- Understand and explain the impact of networking and telecommunications in a networked organization.
- Dissect issues involving the integration and managerial impact of these systems.
- Explore and explain the implications network systems have for organizations and society.