Digital forensics is the application of discovering and presenting evidence in court that has been obtained from computing and storage devices. This course will examine digital forensic as it relates to both civil and criminal investigations. The course content includes best practices in securing, processing, acquiring, examining and reporting on digital evidence. Students will be exposed to current technologies and methods as well as leading edge techniques with hands-on projects and research opportunities.
- Communicate the role of digital forensics in a criminal investigation.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform a basic digital forensic analysis using computer and network-based tools.
- Communicate the underlying concepts of how data are stored on computers and the general structure of the Internet.
- Evaluate current industry best-practices to the analysis of some hypothetical and real case scenarios.
- Identify professional resources available to the digital forensics examiner.