This course introduces students to the design and implementation of firewalls. The course covers such topics as firewalls using CISCO Routers, Microsoft server platform and UNIX platform. Focuses on how firewalls function in these environments and the basic steps to plan and implement firewalls.
- Identify and implement different firewall configuration strategies and setup firewall rules that reflect an organizations overall security approach.
- Understand authentication, its criticality to network security, why and how firewalls authenticate users, the types of authentication groups, and the advantages and disadvantages of popular centralized authentication systems.
- Understand the various technologies that are used to implement detection and prevention.
- Know how firewalls work, misconceptions, and understand why a firewall is dependent on an effective security policy.
- Understand how proxy servers work and the goals an organization can achieve using a proxy server.
- Establish a set of rules and restrictions for a firewall and demonstrate the ability to support and maintain a firewall by updating, adhering to proven security principles, tracking logs, and following basic initial steps in response to security incidents.
- Understand the components and essential operations of virtual private networks (VPNs) and the different types and explain basic VPN concepts including encapsulation, encryption, and authentication in VPNs.