Looking for a new job in the new year? According to CyberSeek, there are currently over 570,000 open cybersecurity positions in the United States alone. The U.S. needs qualified, determined professionals to enter the cybersecurity workforce to help protect our nation.
Did you know, on average most employers only spend about six seconds looking at each new applicant’s resume? Below are some tips on how to make your resume more attractive for employers as well as how to impress them in an interview.
- Highlight your most relevant experiences and accomplishments first. Quantify successes where applicable and appropriate.
- Tailor your resume for each job you’re applying to – use keywords from each job description in your resume.
- Maintain the same verb tenses throughout your resume.
- Include relevant cyber-related certifications as well as pertinent soft skills such as communication, organization, and teamwork.
- Check all social media profiles before submitting your resume or interviewing with potential employers to ensure you portray a professional image.
- Avoid vague, opinionated, or theoretical answers when being interviewed.
- Be prepared to ask the interviewer questions about the company, their career path, management styles, etc.
Ready to get started? Explore thousands of open cybersecurity positions across the country using the Interactive Cybersecurity Career Map. We’re looking forward to seeing you on the front lines of the cyber workforce! For more information about CISA career opportunities, please visit cisa.gov/careers.