This course covers the essentials of computer forensic investigations and the evolution of computer forensics. It will explain various modes of attack, examples of cyber crimes, the reasons for cyber attacks, the role of computer forensics in tracking cyber criminals and computer forensics methodologies. The documentation created during this course can be added to the student’s portfolio.
1. List, describe, and differentiate between the causation (need) and requirements (guidelines and regulations) for digital forensics.
2. Define and explain the use of technical terms and procedures in computer forensics
3. Describe the fundamentals of a forensic investigation and explain how to preserve the chain of custody
4. Describe the common methods to extract information
5. Identify common tools and activities that are part of a forensic investigation