Big-picture thinking stretches beyond the short term and considers how an organization can succeed in the long term. By thinking strategically about a problem using the bigger picture, you can elevate your perspective and get a better idea of the forces at play within your organization.
This course describes how systems thinking can help you become skillful at making sense out of opposites and contradictions and better understand cause and effect while managing your department according to the business strategy. It explains actions you can take to encourage creative thinking and come up with solutions that take into account the bigger picture. You’ll also learn how understanding your organizational value chain can help you connect to the organization's strategy and implement it more effectively.
Seeing the Big Picture
- recognize ways to get a sense of the bigger picture by elevating your perspective
- identify examples illustrating how understanding paradoxes helps in gaining a big-picture view of your organization
- recognize techniques to understand causality in order to get a sense of the bigger picture of your organization
- identify the steps to take in considering external factors to gain a big-picture view of your organization
- distinguish between actions that encourage big-picture thinking in relation to internal direction and internal stakeholders
- recognize how assessing your organization's value and supply chains can help you develop big-picture thinking
- use methods to increase your big picture view of your organization