This course is an introduction to the concepts and features of computer systems. Topics covered include computer hardware, application software, systems software, networks, Internet, computer applications and social issues, data security and control. The student will learn basic operations of the personal computer, general application fundamentals and the basic commands and operations of Windows®. Course is offered in the spring, summer, and fall semesters.
- Explain the fundamentals of information processing
- Identify the main components of the processing unit including: main memory, the central processing unit, and its basic components
- Identify and categorize (input/output) various hardware devices including: keyboards, types of printers, and types of monitors
- Utilize commonly used application software including: word processing, database, spreadsheets, and graphics
- Discuss the primary functions of the operating system
- Identify various types of operating systems