An introduction to the mapping sciences with a primary focus on Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Covers the trends, history, structure, applications, hardware and software, and basic operations of GIS in order to provide a foundation for the use of GIS software. Related geographic technologies to be examined include mapping, aerial and satellite imagery, and Global Positioning Systems (GPS). The lab portion will provide introductory training in the use of ArcGIS software including identifying, evaluating, and inputting spatial data, developing and using raster and vector data sets, converting data from one form to another, and applying programming with GIS software.
• Understand and apply basic geographic principles such as locations, projections, attributes, and spatial relationships.
• Identify basic types of maps and related spatial data.
• Demonstrate proficiency in map reading, interpretation, and design.
• Explain and demonstrate the general applications of GIS in society.
• Compare and contrast methods of data input including uploading software with numerical and attribute data, scanning maps and images, and digitizing from existing maps.
• Input, organize, and manipulate raster and vector datasets and be able to deduce the most appropriate uses of each.
• Compare and contrast various types of data including geospatial and attribute data.
• Construct simple attribute tables and relational databases.
• Identify, access, and obtain sources of spatial data for Geographic Information Systems.
• Apply editing functions to existing GIS data.
• Effectively convert data from one data model to another.
• Comprehend and apply basic GIS analytical functions.
• Define key concepts and terminologies related to the function of Geographic Information Systems.
• Identify basic components required for GIS use in the workplace.
• Identify and analyze GIS data, support, and career resources.
• Use GPS units to collect field data, and import such data into GIS for further analyses.
• Document and organize spatial data in a professional manner.