Emphasis is on gaining an understanding of networking design principles that entails all aspects of the network development life cycle. Topics include campus LAN models and design, VLANs, internetworking principles and design, WAN design, design of hybrid IP networks, differentiated vs. integrated services, traffic flow measurement and management.
- Understand a broad range of telecommunication and computer network terminologies and technologies.
- Be equipped with the basic knowledge of data communication fundamentals critical for designing, selecting, or integrating these network technologies.
- Be able to calculate transmission, propagation, and queuing delays.
- Understand the meaning and power of a layered architectural model.
- Understand the fundamental challenges at each protocol level.
- Be able to apply and implement different types of addressing and routing techniques to be able to build basic probability models of network phenomena.
- Understand major network performance issues and be able to analyze the performance of basic LAN.