This course provides a technical overview of computers and computer networking used in business. Hands-on exercises are provided to give students experience with basic computer and network activities. The content serves as a technical foundation for later courses in the Network Engineering and Software Engineering programs.
By the end of the quarter the student will be able to do the following:
- List, describe and identify the basic components of a modern computer system.
- Describe how data is stored and accessed by personal computers.
- Navigate and conduct basic file and folder manipulation in a computer hierarchical file system using both graphical and command line techniques
- Describe how computers can be connected together and share data in computer networks.
- List and describe basic networking hardware devices
- Construct an Ethernet connection cable
- Connect computers in a simple network and share data between the computers.
- Describe how the Internet functions
- List and describe benefits and dangers of the Internet
- Conduct basic Internet searches
- List and describe mobile computing technologies
- List and describe possible future trends in networking