This course focuses on design, development and operation of a data communications system and computer network, and emphasizes managing data distribution and access. The course includes essential elements of networks including hardware, software and interfaces. Students use a networking software tool to build and analyze network models.
- Given a description of business requirements that are in need of data and telecommunications solutions, describe the evolution, current state, and trends in communications architectures, technologies, industries, and solutions that address those requirements.
- Given a business problem that requires a networking solution, understand how the five fundamental layers (application, transport, network, data link, and physical) of the Internet networking model apply and interoperate to form a complete business networking solution.
- Given a business networking problem, understand the process to plan, design, and document business networking solutions for wide area networks (WANs), backbone networks (BNs), local area networks (LANs), and wireless LANs (WLANs).
- Given a business networking problem, understand the process to plan, design, and document business networking solutions for the Internet.
- Given the need for secure online business communications, understand common network security threats and vulnerabilities and get familiar with leading network security solutions using commercially available networking hardware and software.
- Given the need to lead IT network analysis, design, and management teams, understand the process steps for creating low risk, on-time, and on-budget networking solutions.
- Given the need to manage and maintain a network environment, understand the process to perform network configuration.