- Knowledge and skills to recognize security vulnerabilities, implement security measures, analyze network environments for known security threats or risks, defend against attacks or viruses, ensure data privacy and integrity.
- Terminology and procedures for implementation and configuration of security: access control, authorization, encryption, packet filters, firewalls and Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
- Assess areas of security concern, recognize security risks and compare internal and external threats to data and services.
- Compare and contrast the different methods for securing shared resources.
- Evaluate various anti-virus software programs, and compare to software and hardware firewalls.
- Classify types of firewalls, including Network Address Translation (NAT).
- Choose appropriate wireless security procedures to address risks.
- Develop a viable plan for disaster recovery including backed up data.