This course will provide the basis for this program of study. The course introduces the core principles of forensic science and evidence management. Students will examine the mission of digital forensics from the various perspectives of the public and private sectors, including digital forensics in support of activities ranging from internal corporate investigations, responses to information security incidents, and policy auditing to third-party investigations, criminal investigations, and anti-terrorism information gathering -- and discussing the imperatives of each.
- Characterize the overall digital investigation process
- Compare and contrast public and private sector, and criminal and civil, digital investigations
- Outline the process for preparing digital evidence for criminal and civil cases
- Recognize the various scenarios requiring a digital investigation, and categorize the scope of the investigation necessary for each scenario
- Develop a moral and ethical framework within the context of public and private sector investigations
- Argue issues of privacy versus the need for digital investigations