This course is designed to address the entire technology commercialization process, from idea to market. As technology drives innovation and companies seek more effective ways to exploit the intellectual property they create, it is important for students in business, engineering, and the sciences to understand the processes that result in successful new technology products in the market.
This course is a comprehensive look at the issues related to the transfer and commercialization of new technology. High-tech businesses with patentable technology, whether engineering technology, biotechnology, or information systems technology, display different business models, processes, and characteristics from mainstream types of business.
- Discuss the foundations of technology and commercialization.
- Summarize the process of developing and testing technology business concepts and products.
- Explain the concept and importance of intellectual property.
- Compare and contrast licensing and intellectual property strategies.
- Examine financial strategies for technology start-ups.
- Analyze the process of marketing and growing high technology ventures.
- Discuss entrepreneurial and business planning for sustaining innovation.