This course is a practical introduction to basic security for software deployment to an
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) public cloud. The audience includes technical
managers, system administrators, system auditors, and software developers who may
need to make decisions regarding cloud-deployed applications.
Although the course will present general principles, for concreteness almost all
discussion and exercises will focus on deployment to the Amazon Web Services (AWS)
environment, which is the current market leader in public IaaS. Where possible “best
practices” will be identified.
- Construct and Configure an AWS IaaS cloud account
- Deploy a virtual computer instance into the AWS EC2 Cloud
- Choose and configure security controls to protect such a virtual computer instance against attacks
- Use AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) to create users, groups and policies that give appropriate access to AWS resources
- Use logging and analysis tools to monitor cloud deployed resources and detect intrusion