This course provides students with a basic understanding of theories and techniques used in the processing and analysis of satellite and drone (i.e. Unmanned aircraft systems) data. Topics include image and sensor characteristics, information derived from satellite and drone data , and image interpretation and analysis.
• Distinguish between different types of remote sensing systems and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS);
• Identify the appropriate satellite and UAS sensors for the application under consideration;
• Specify the strengths and limitations of various remote sensing systems and UAS;
• Explain the basics of the electromagnetic spectrum;
• Preprocess and analyze remote sensing and UAS data;
• Implement and interpret the results from unsupervised classification, supervised classification, and other object based classification techniques;
• Assess and document the spatial and attribute accuracy of remote sensing and UAS data;
• Construct and analyze 3D terrain and building models created with Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) and UAS data.