This course examines relational database management systems using a typical, commercial DBMS, such as Microsoft Access and/or MySQL and Oracle. Topics include data modeling, database design, implementation, forms and reports, and remote access to databases. The goal of this course is to provide students with a basic understanding of database design, implementation, and management concepts and techniques.
- Explain the operation of Database Management Systems,
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of relational data modeling, using Entity-Relationship diagrams,
- Design a relational database,
- Implement a database, using a database management system,
- Identify and use basic Data Manipulation Language (DML) such as insert, update, and delete records, using a database management system.
- Identify and use basic Data Definition Language (DDL) statements, such as create, drop, and alter database structures, using a database management system,
- Summarize a basic understanding of the Structured Query Language (SQL) through the use of database queries and other operations.